New frontier for global asset inspection and maintenance
At the Global Summit in Singapore on 28th August, 2019, the Tectus Group revealed not only the creation of a new holding company – Screening Eagle Technologies – but also launched six new non-destructive testing (NDT) inspection solutions, plus the world’s first pure software inspection tool and much more. This firmly underlines the organization’s commitment to disrupting the inspection space by leveraging digital technology to improve the health and maintenance of the world’s most valuable infrastructure and assets.
Many of the world’s mission-critical assets that form the neural network of our society are at risk due to lack of proper inspection and maintenance procedures. In the United States nearly 10% of all bridges are structurally deficient, in India 50% of bridges are in a precarious condition and over 28% of the bridges in Germany are in a worsening or deficient condition. The state of other assets, across power, sewerage, transportation networks and many more, follow an identical pattern. High-profile collapses are commonplace globally. In a worst-case scenario, failure to protect our assets and infrastructure leads to catastrophic disasters with massive economic and social impacts. The challenge is two-fold, aging assets that have been inadequately maintained over time and construction defects in new assets built under time and cost pressure, with shortcomings on material selection, workmanship and poor compliance to specification.
Screening Eagle Technologies, with its two subsidiaries Proceq and Dreamlab, is set-up to address the challenges facing our assets and infrastructure with data and technology. Proceq is an NDT (non-destructive testing) portable sensor business with a strong heritage, headquartered in Switzerland. Dreamlab is a Singapore-based rapidly scaling software powerhouse, which has created the Screening Eagle Live Platform, the world’s first fully integrated, digital and connected inspection ecosystem. As part of Screening Eagle Technologies, the two organizations combined will deepen their Research & Development and operational cooperation to harness the powerful pairing of advanced portable sensors with intelligent software, leveraging augmented reality, artificial intelligence and digital twins to maximize the health and value of assets and infrastructure that support our everyday lives.
The Screening Eagle Technologies organization already boasts an extensive footprint and team of over 150 employees (over 50 in R&D), 8 subsidiaries globally, a sophisticated network of outsourced production and over 200 distribution partners, with 12 new products launched and shipped to over 100 countries in the past two years, in addition to its existing sensor and NDT product portfolio. This digital journey began with the 2017 Global Summit in Zurich, where Proceq announced ground-breaking new Live products and transformative business models powered by cloud software, Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Augmented Reality (AR) in collaboration with Tectus Dreamlab. Now the next generation of Proceq Live inspection solutions have been unveiled, including:
- Pundit® PD8000 – breakthroughs in signal processing and imaging enable users to look into concrete with great accuracy and detect features and flaws with deep and precise 3D imaging, both on iPad and by using the InterSAFT PC software. This is the product of choice for experts, while being user-friendly for everyone in the concrete inspection business.
- Proceq® GP8800 – the most advanced GPR device the world has ever seen is lightweight, autonomous and ultraportable; it has a tiny footprint and yet features colossal performance. Its groundbreaking measurement performance and usability is enabled by its iPad app and cloud services.
- Proceq® GS8000 – carefully engineered around the user, this new inspection solution brings unique GPR technology and user-friendly, intuitive mobile and cloud-enabled software to the global challenge of for utility locating and imaging.
- Proceq® UT8000 – user-centric with superior ergonomics as standard, this pocket-sized solution combines Swiss-made electronics with intelligent software and unparalleled features, such as “time-travel traceability” and touch-based calibration.
- Silver Schmidt® OS8200 – this digital expansion of Proceq’s legendary Schmidt product family is the new benchmark for strength and uniformity testing of concrete with high accuracy and productivity. The new hammer works with an iOS app within the Proceq Live digital ecosystem.
- Zehntner® ZG8000 – the world’s smallest cloud-connected glossmeter can reach places other devices won’t fit and get accurate measurements even in the toughest of conditions. Its stray light compensation feature helps to ensure accurate measurements.
There was also a sneak preview for delegates of a future technology – Eagle® Inspect – the world’s first software-only inspection tool designed to integrate all inspection data into a single platform, allow customizable reporting and support workflow management.
Eagle® Inspect will seamlessly integrate both the newly announced range as well as the organization’s existing cloud enabled portfolio and is due for release in quarter 2, 2020. Meanwhile, Screening Eagle Technologies extended a unique invitation to asset owners, local governments and inspectors to supercharge their inspections by collaborating in the beta testing of Eagle Inspect prior to the market launch.
The innovations launched extended not only to innovative sensor and software products, but also to the approach to pricing and partnership. Barriers to ownership have plunged through subscription models lowering the cost of ownership by around 60% compared with traditional sales and pricing approaches. This will enable more users to benefit from world-leading Proceq product range, while making the instruments easier and more beneficial to own while always ensuring customers access to the latest features via the instruments’ dedicated software apps.
To further support predictable cash flows and operating expenses for customers, Eagle® Care was also launched at the Global Summit. For a one-off annual fee, it takes care of unpredictable costs such as device calibration, repair and replacement.
Today we are confronted with an enormous challenge to maintain the health of ageing infrastructure and buildings while proactively optimizing the condition of newer assets cost effectively. With every challenge, there is also opportunity. Through the creation of Screening Eagle Technologies we leverage the Tectus Group’s unique combination of entrepreneurial know-how and deep experience from industries as diverse as construction, specialized engineering and new media to accelerate digital first, connected and intelligent solutions to maximize the long-term value of the world’s most valuable assets.
The Screening Eagle Summit represents the culmination of the best in Swiss and Singaporean research and technology, and we are pleased to reveal the new frontier of asset inspection and maintenance with our new company Screening Eagle Technologies. Investment and development do not stop here; we continue to push the boundaries we have set and intend to be a true partner for the asset space, to jointly protect the structures that matter most in our lives.